Saturday, June 7, 2008

Chapter 6 - June 7, 2008-The PMS Ride

I was going to name this ride Twin Lakes 2008, but a better title was offered from Alissa. Being somewhat polictially correct I was worried that the ladies would get upset, but I was assured that since this title was suggested by Alissa I would escape the wrath of the multitudes. The title is appropriate for today's ride because for the first time in my 6 years of riding there were more woman riders, than men, 9 women, 7 men. I couldn't resist I had to get a group picture, and I couldn't do it at the bowl because everybody was milling around, so I waited until Billy could get everybody in one spot. I know I know,but he did a good job look at the pic. Unfortunaly I don't have the capability to look at pic and type at same time to name the people, so you will have to pic them out. The group picture was beside the Arlo Guthrie Church, it's a pretty good pic. In the group you will find, Nicki, Pete, Duke, Barbra, Paula, Karen, Mary Lou, Deb Mc-I,Bill H., Pat, Alissa, Shaun, Dudly, Ken, and a newbie, Mary Anna. [I love newbie's. Dudly invited her because she is going to do a centruy in August and she needed to train. From my perpective she's ready. Strong rider and doesn't care about how many barns there are.] In the picture Shaun isn't visible. He is at the end fixing Debs bike. Always the bike guy and boy scout. Boy Scouts are good to have around. Not to mention that he is a good guy to have around because what ever was wrong he fixed it. He also contributes to my blog by suggestings ideas. The only trouble with that is that I'm always stopping writting then pedaling my ass off trying to catch up to the group.

This ride started at 8:30 early because of impending heat and thunderstorms. It was supposed to get to 95 today and we wanted to beat that. So Duke planned it for 8:30. I have no idea what the temp was at the start but I know it was foggy and it was warm enough to wear a sleeveless shirt (showing my muscles off. But forgot to put sun tan lotion on and ended up frying. So at end of day my puny little muscles ended up looking like bacon, nuked for 15 minutes, really crisp.) When Duke posted this ride he also said it was going to be a flat ride. Well it was to a certain extent. And that extent ended on the ride back up 183. But thats the finish lets go with the start.

It was a nice trip down to Great Barrington. The sun was still hiding behind the fog and it was just perfect temperatures. We toodled through town with little difficulty. Stayed on Route 7 for awhile then turned and from this point on, I was totally discombobulated. Even though I had been on this route before, and even though I had my GPS I had no freaking idea where we were. Shaun and I saw landmarks that we recognized but if you asked us to lead the ride, even with GPS I wouldn't have been able to do it. We went through Great Barrington, turned on to the road that leads to Eisners Boys Camp, . This is good road, as you can see Mary Lou and Barbra enjoyed the shade. Since I'm hard of hearing, I didn't hear what they are talking about but I would guess that Mary Lou was probably telling Barbra that Mary Lous husband put her bike in the car the night before so she wouldn't wake him up when she left for the early ride.

We spend a few miles wandering the back roads checking things out. Even though John C. wasn't with use he wasn't forgotten. Nice barn huh John? Oh and I understand that you are asking when the jokes about the barns are going to end? Maybe next ski season John, just maybe. I can see a barn patrol award. The cruise director could fix that right up. And just to let the readers know that there good barns and bad barns, and some have more character than others. Thanks to John i'm into barns.

After a few miles of twisting and turning we finally made it into Conneticut. I could tell because when we made a turn we managed to surrounded this car with Conneticut plates. The driver was looking pretty bewhildered with 16 bikers going evey which way. Usually this wouldn't be an item of interest except that Deb decided to say we were sorry to the driver by stating "We are from Massachusetts, we have no idea what we are doing." You kill me Deb. What was funnier was that the driver agreed with Deb.

At about mile 30 we arrived in Canann, Ct. When we passed a dairy farm a sign was flashing, 10:30, 86 degrees. Oh My God.. 86 degrees!!!! I knew it was hot but this is rediculous. We decided to pull into our tried and true rest stop that we always stop in over the years had been upgraded to a fancy rest stop with Dunkin Donuts. The only disadvantage of this place was that the pie selection was limited, but Duke didn't care he found the Dunkin Donuts counter. And wouldn't you know it, he announced that Dunckin Donuts Chocolate Eclair donuts are better than Table Top Pies. It looks like he's enjoying it to me.

Because of the heat we stayed a long time at the stop, it was here that Pete started feeling the effects of the heat. He didnt look right but he assured us that he was ok and when ready off we went. In retrospect we should have gased him up but ended up not being able to aford the fuel..



The ride around the lakes was as pretty as usual and shady, which was the most important part. I didn't take any pics because the road was so slick from humidity that I didn't want to take my grip off the handle bar.

At the other side of the lake, we did our only real steep climb. Poor Pete, got cramps and that must have killed him. Ouch. We finally met up at the top and took a long break for Pete to recover. While on top I took advantage of the break and took a picture for John C. How about this barn John, a typical Conneticut barn. and guess what it's white, not red.

From here it's down hill to Rt 7. Well not straight down hill a few rollers and these rollers did Pete in. At this point we knew he wasn't going any further, the only question was where he should stay while waiting for ride back. We decided that we were close to Scheffield and he should stay there so with a bit of water and time he mounted up and road down to Sheffield. And next to a nice little store that's where he ended his ride. [Poor Pete I'm just glad he's ok, Shaun went back and picked him up. We have all bonked at one time or another and this was Petes turn. The best part is that he's ok. And will be able to ride with us again.]

We spent a lot of time at that store, trying to figure out what to do about Pete, and trying to figure out what to do about the fast guys. They were biting at the bit to get back but they waited for awhile then finally took off, well poor Dudly made it a 100 feet then POP!!! Flat tire. He drug his bike back to shade with Pete and changed his tire. He was now stuck with us. This stop really delayed the time on the ride, we discussed Pete, the plan was for Shaun to come back and pick him up, which he did [see I told you he was nice guy.] We discussed Bill taking other folks, back soon and what route they would take, Shaun recruited new BCA members while fixing Dudly's bike, see Shaun can repair and talk at same time. We discussed our route, yep we discussed a lot of stuff at that ride. Oh and I almost forgot a young studly biker showed up and started to bond with the ladies. I think the ladies all enjoyed talking to him. Where do I get one of those tatoo's???

From here the ride back was tough, it was freaking hot, and we went up hill all the way. My GPS registered 785 feet in Conneticut and about 890 feet at the Bowl. Even though not much it was painful. We road up Pumpkin Hollow Road, Up Division Road, Up Rt 183. Back in Sheiffield, Duke announced that we were going this way because they were back roads and in the shade. Well yes, they were in the shade, unfortunately the sun sets in the west and we were heading north so the shade ended up on the wrong side of the road. And we rode in the sun all the way back. Well Duke, it was a good plan, the sun just didn't cooperate. Finally heat got to me, about 2 miles before the bowl all I wanted to do was get off the bike. I had to get off the bike. I did and luxurated in the shade along the road. Poor Paula, she took care of Pete this am, and then she was hanging around wondering what was going to happen to me. I made it, thanks Paula for looking out for the OG. I have to hand it to her, she's a lady Shaun, she and Shaun took care of everybody that needed help.

All and all it was a great ride, I would do it again. Even with the heat, it was 95 degrees in Pittsfied. Thanks duke where we going next week. Oh and if it's as hot as this, count me in.

Oh by the way no GPS statistics, because I forgot to turn off before I put bike into the car. The GPS registered 52.3 MPH, which was Car Speed, and added car miles.. Sorry. Memo to self, turn off GPS when Ride is over. This GPS thing rots, last week I took it off bike and put it on roof of car and forgot it. Drove off. About 2 hours later I started looking for it and had to go back to Wachonnah High School to find it in middle of parking lot. I think I'm going to stop brining it. It's usless excet to tell me the elevation, and that's depressing, and Duke hasn't gotten us lost yet.

One last thing. John, you missed the Cow Weather Vain. Don't worry I got it!!!

Notes having nothing to do with Ride:

Karens Leg is healing.
But she will have a scar I'm afraid. Wonder if any hair will ever grow there again?

Dave the Horse:
By popular demand, Laura sent a picture of Dave the horse. Its the grey one. And no, the house isn't sinking, it's California, what do you expect?

Oh and by the way, Mike, her husband, reports that she is out bicycling every chance she gets. Hummm wonder if she is really thinking the Thursday ride is harder than it is??

Studly Dudly:
In the last couple of weeks I've been showing injuries with bandaids. This one is a cut on Dudly's leg. He isnt hurt badly but he refused care. He was being very manly with sweat, grease, and blood on his leg.

Somebody Call Paula

The group found a stop at Hoositonic. And Shaun managed to find a grate that isn't condusive to parking bikes on. At first I thought it was so hot his bike was melting into the sidewalk, but it turned out to be a grate for water flow. Shaun has enlisted Paula to become BCA Manager of Grate Control. Apparently she has been pretty efficient because 30 grates have been turned in the county to date. Who knows how many bikers have avoided injuries. Way to go guys, but as Shaun Demonstrates, you missed one.

1 comment:

Paula said...

I am just glad that it all worked out in the end...
Bryan if you are really worried about that grate stop ridding on the sidewalk...
:)